Tuesday, February 10, 2009

By request










By request, I have added some pictures of the productive chickens on the Lough Ranch, aren't they beauties? We raised the black and light brown hens from chicks. Or should I say we saved these hens from Grandma and Grandpa's dogs when they were young. The others we adopted from Blake's hunting friend. Together we have 21 magnificent laying hens. Their productivity averages about 80%. I have been running some numbers around in my head and thinking about starting an egg delivery business. Here goes... if I were to make even close to my teaching salary, I would need around 821 chickens... I, no we, would have to gather 657 eggs each day... therefore we would sell about 55 dozen eggs each day... I am afraid that would NEVER work. Can you imagine the feed bill or the chicken poop? We could fertilize the entire farm... twice. How long would it take to gather 657 eggs each day? Holy smokes, that is a lot of eggs! I think I will keep my job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! You guys are as handy as a pocket on a t-shirt!!!! DT

Lough Family

Lough Family
Blake, Leslie, Brett and Briley

Blog Archive

About Me

mother of 2, wife of 13 years, ART teacher, goat tier