Monday, February 13, 2012

The Ranch

My next love is the Ranch.  I adore living on this farm. 

One... we bought it from my mom and dad.  Growing up it was referred to as "Pete's."  Dad bought it from a man named Pete Taylor.  Our house sits where there once was a old corn crib.  Dad raised pigs here and calved some cows.  When I was about 12, Mom and Dad were loading pigs, and Dad tapped one with a board.  The board broke and hit Mom in the nose.  With blood running down her nose, she firmly declared that she was FINE.  She was fine, and does not have any surface scars to show.  But it sure did leave a permanent impression in our memories. 

Two... I love livestock; goats, chickens, cows, horses, and our dog, Dally.  I presently have 40 eggs in the incubator and anxiously wait to hear the peeps of hatching chicks.  We just bought 6 baby goats, they are the cutest little things ever.  In about a month, we will start calving... can't wait! 

Three... I truly believe some of my most wonderful memories, life learning lessons, and hardest work happened because I grew up on a farm not far from this Ranch.  Where else in the world does a peeping chick or a calf's first breath make all the difference in the world?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you learned all those life lessons and we are proud to join the fun most of the time! Great job deversifying that little ranch. Feed lady really enjoys all the feed options! Love, MOM

Lough Family

Lough Family
Blake, Leslie, Brett and Briley

Blog Archive

About Me

mother of 2, wife of 13 years, ART teacher, goat tier